Principals are responsible for developing In-Q-Tel’s portfolio. Specifically, Principals are expected to identify and target companies of interest to In-Q-Tel and our Intelligence Community Partners, helping to negotiate complex equity and technology delivery transactions, provide ongoing support to In-Q-Tel portfolio companies and help coordinate the research efforts. The Principal will represent IQT as a Board of Directors observer on targeted investments and assist these companies in understanding the IQT model, our Intelligence Community Partners, executing our strategic objectives and assisting portfolio companies to gain the most value out of the In-Q-Tel relationship.
The Principal will take ownership of and drive activities related to leading specific market research in targeted technology sectors with an emphasis on delivering high quality presentations and or reports resulting from this research. The Principal would ideally be a post-MBA or individual with prior VC, entrepreneurial, operational or startup experience in engineering biology, biotechnology, genomics, synthetic biology, biological big data, biological manufacturing and/or AI for biology.
IQT’s B.Next practice pursues early stage (and, selectively, growth stage) investment opportunities across the entire engineering biology spectrum including platform technologies, applications of engineering biology, and companies at the intersection of engineering biology and other major industries. We engage with startup companies and venture capital partners to accelerate advances to strengthen economic and national security and promote technological solutions to address common global threats.
- Driving specific market research projects
- Conduct market research on a specific VC backed global or domestic tech sectors
- Connect with and document prospective companies within domestic and global sectors
- Network with and talk to VC’s that invest in this target sector, sharing those findings and identified companies
- Quantitative and qualitative research in specific projects directed by Senior IQT staff
- Synthesizing research and findings into high quality and clear presentations and or/reports
- Build class-leading expertise in assigned technology areas through a rigorous effort of research and outreach to academics, entrepreneurs, and investors
Deal Sourcing & Relationship Management
- Develop and nurture a strong network of relationships with top-tier venture capitalists at the Partner, Managing Director, and Principal levels to generate high quality and consistent deal flow for In-Q-Tel
- Constantly promote the In-Q-Tel brand within the venture, academic, and startup communities as a high-quality venture capital investor and strategic partner
- Develop external reputation and credibility within specific technology sectors of focus.
- Maintain broad awareness of venture industry and technology market trends, challenges and opportunities
- Lead and manage deals with little oversight from Senior investment team leads
- Negotiate complex financial terms involving equity, technology licensing, and development funding to maximize total overall value and return for In-Q-Tel and our partners
- Manage the activities of legal, finance, technology and administrative resources towards high quality deal preparation and timely execution
- Drive and deliver high quality investment committee documents and presentations
Portfolio Company Strategy & Support
- Serve as active, contributing advisors to portfolio company CEOs and work as observers of the Boards of Directors over the multi-year lifetime of these relationships
- Assist corporate management teams in developing new products/services and in navigating the company’s growth
- Lead government outreach strategic planning for portfolio companies, including planning and execution of strategic events and contacts; manage combined efforts within In-Q-Tel, including marketing, technical, and federal outreach activities
- Ensure that In-Q-Tel’s requirements are understood, and our interests are protected
- Serve as primary champion and advocate of portfolio companies internally at In-Q-Tel, across the customers we support, and within the broader government community
- Serve as the primary In-Q-Tel representative in press and PR activities relating to portfolio companies
- Represent the Investment Team within the In-Q-Tel organization
- Build and sustain relationships across other In-Q-Tel groups, based on shared mission objectives and mutual
- Masters/Advanced Degree or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of prior relevant experience in entrepreneurial and/or operating roles a must; past early-stage venture experience a plus
- Robust, well-maintained network of venture, technology and professional contacts across biotech, engineering biology, biotechnology, genomics, synthetic biology, biological big data, biological manufacturing and/or AI for biology
- Superior critical thinking, interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to quickly research, understand, and assimilate new technology sectors and companies
- Highly motivated self-starter, able to work in unstructured environment
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.