The (Communications Manager) will play a critical role on the General Catalyst Marketing team, elevating the firm’s brand and increasing awareness of portfolio companies through creative and timely execution of funding announcements. You will collaborate with founders and their teams on everything from funding announcements to media training and at key moments delivering and imparting best-in-class communications practices.
The Communications Manager will report to the VP of Brand and Communications. In this position, the person will play an active role in executing PR activities aligned with our key investment sectors including enterprise, consumer and health technology.
Strategic Priorities and Responsibilities:
- Execute a robust cadence of funding announcements, optimizing news cycles. Working closely with the VP of Content & Engagement to secure and manage production of editorial content that includes GC thought leadership > to enhance brand awareness of GC and portfolio companies.
- Set direction on pitch strategy and outreach while managing GC investing team involvement.
- Leverage and build strong relationships with high profile VC and business media outlets.
- Work closely with our PR agencies to build GC’s profile through its portfolio companies.
- Through portfolio company communications initiatives, generate greater association around GC’s point of view and points of difference in the marketplace – to drive greater share of deal flow and LP investment.
- Continue to innovate and oversee the portfolio comms process to ensure we can handle the increased volume of announcements without sacrificing caliber or depth of story.
The ideal candidate will have experience and knowledge of the technology and/or VC landscape and exceptional relationships with top tier media, event organizers, and influencers inside and out of the valley.
Experience leading PR in technology startups or PR agency specializing in startup communications is a must. Journalism experience and demonstrated writing skills are also ideal.
(S)he/They will be inspired by General Catalyst’s positioning and changes the team is making in the marketplace. This person is driven, creative, strategic, resourceful and results oriented. The successful candidate can bring existing relationships to bear to help drive greater brand understanding and awareness in the marketplace.
This person will be excited about process and platforms and feel compelled to make sure clear and robust project management is at the core of all activity.
- Motivation: Self- motivated and energized by working amongst a group of thoughtful, smart and successful colleagues.
- Collaboration: Enjoys being part of an organization focused on excellence and will be a naturally collaborative person who enjoys interacting with individuals at all levels. Is a strong team player with a proactive approach and the ability to exercise discretion and judgment.
- Creative Thinker: Values Innovation. Effectively blends creative competence with excellence. Brings a modern viewpoint and ability to reimagine communication opportunities.
- Execution-Oriented: Capable of moving strategy / concept to execution successfully.
- Superior Interpersonal Skills / Team Orientation: Ability to interact easily with all levels within the organization; tactful, mature, flexible. Strong planning, organization, and decision-making abilities.
- Credibly Engaging: Nurtures and builds excellent relationships with key stakeholders, influencers and outside media. Brings an impactul and authentic voice as both external and internal spokesperson for the company.
General Catalyst embraces our responsibility to create a sense of belonging for all races, identities, genders, and backgrounds across our industry. We are committed to diversifying our industry in terms of both investors and the founders we back.
(Serious candidates please DM me on Linkedin or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not reach out if you are a recruiter, an entrepreneur looking for funding, or a candidate looking for a bigger title. Thank you for your respect. – Sue)
Jenny Zemel serves as Manager, Special Projects where she provides interdepartmental support on a variety of projects for both the NVCA team and Venture Forward team. She also helps support the administrative needs of NVCA’s President and CEO Bobby Franklin.