2023 Venture Capital Investments Summer Analyst – StepStone Group
StepStone is a rapidly growing Global Private Markets firm who provides customized investment and advisory solutions to some of the most sophisticated investors in the world. With $570 billion of total capital allocations, including $134 billion in AUM, we are highly diversified in the private markets across the globe and provide creative solutions to solve for the objectives of any investment program. With a culture built on entrepreneurialism, partnership and being a team within teams, our firm offers joiners the opportunity to think out loud, collaboratively.
StepStone Venture Capital is one of the largest venture capital investment firms in the world, currently managing almost $7 billion in assets across fund, direct and secondary investment strategies. The team has over 80 employees with offices in Baltimore, London, LaJolla and Palo Alto. We actively invest in venture capital partnerships, expansion stage venture/growth equity direct investments and secondary market positions through its fund products.
Summer Analysts will be responsible for supporting the activities of the investment team in analyzing, monitoring and researching both potential and existing fund and direct investments. Education is also a significant component of the program, as Summer Analysts will gain insight into the broader venture capital ecosystem through data-driven research projects, hands-on learning with the investment team and participation in weekly calls with the broader partnership.
- Performing quantitative analysis, including company, manager and performance modeling and valuation
- Conducting company, manager and industry research
- Participating in due diligence calls with company management teams and General Partners
- Assisting in all aspects of the transaction, whether fund, direct or secondary
- Communicating investment recommendations through written work, including one-page summaries and investment memorandums
- Developing and maintaining proprietary transaction and market intelligence
- Performing investment monitoring analysis in support of the investment team
- Performing other ad hoc projects that reflect the broader needs of the Firm
Desired Skills And Experience
Most importantly, ideal candidates should display strong attention to detail, a highly professional manner and a dedication to maintaining the Firm’s existing relationships within the venture capital community.
- You are a Junior/Rising Senior (May 2024 grad) committed to BA/BS in Finance, Economics or Accounting, or equivalent
- A desire to join our Global Private Markets investments platform after graduation
- GPA of 3.5 or above
- High proficiency in MS Word, Power Point and Excel
- Demonstrated track record of academic success
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong, demonstrable analytical capabilities, including strong quantitative/modeling skills
- Team player and strong work ethic
- Pointed excitement for Venture Capital Investments
- Must be able to work in the US without requiring visa sponsorship
For a view into a summer experience at StepStone: https://vimeo.com/519535749
Working out of 23 offices in 14 countries, StepStone has a truly global viewpoint. As people are our biggest asset, we offer resources to help our employees reach their full potential. Our principles are based on integrity, transparency, respect and creativity, which together define how we do business.
When you choose to work at StepStone, you’ll find a group of professionals who are passionate about anticipating changes, solving problems and working together to make it all happen. Our integrated global team shares insights into how managers think and operate, as well as how they might perform.
Disclaimer / Policy Statements
At StepStone, diversity, equity and inclusion are an integral part of our culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees and allows them to be heard, regardless of title or tenure. Our organizational community features multiple Employment Resource Groups representing our dedication to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion.
Developing People at StepStone
Your employment will also be subject to various firm policies and guidelines, including return to workplace guidelines for your office (which require, where legally permitted, all U.S. employees to have their vaccinations against COVID-19 up to date in order to enter one of our offices or attend a firm-sponsored event).
If you are interested in this position, please apply here.
Jenny Zemel serves as Manager, Special Projects where she provides interdepartmental support on a variety of projects for both the NVCA team and Venture Forward team. She also helps support the administrative needs of NVCA’s President and CEO Bobby Franklin.