About NFC: Founded in 2015, NFC manages $140 million in assets, and is currently investing out of Fund III, an $80M fund launched in March 2020. The Firm seeks to lead or co-lead venture investments in Rocky Mountain technology companies. We focus on leading $2-5m financings in companies with product-market fit and a history of capital efficient growth.
The Firm primarily invests in industries with high intellectual property value, such as enterprise software, data science, mobile applications, and deep tech. We’ve learned that purity of motivation is an accurate predictor of success and therefore aim to partner with mission-driven, talented entrepreneurs looking to build companies of scale and value.
Our Mission: Next Frontier Capital partners with mission-driven, talented entrepreneurs to build Rocky Mountain technology companies of national impact, utility, and value.
Location: Bozeman, MT preferred, secondarily Boulder, CO
Position Summary: The ﬁrm is looking for a VP Finance and Operations to join our team. This is a highly visible position that will work directly with the senior leaders of the organization on a regular basis. In addition to working closely with the internal deal teams, this role will also interact with third party service providers, portfolio companies, prospective investments, limited partners, legal counsel, auditors, vendors, and other outside relationships. For an outstanding performer who exceeds expectations, this position offers growth and advancement opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Finance Planning & Analysis
- Oversee the preparation of deadline-driven reporting processes, including ﬁnancial statements, partner allocations, capital account statements and portfolio company valuations.
- Responsible for budgeting and cash ﬂow forecasting for the management company.
- Supports development of internal ﬁnancial controls and their implementation.
- General Partnership and Investment Support
- Senior leader of lean internal ﬁnance team and thought partner to the investing team
- Maintain waterfall, management fee and expense allocation calculations in accordance with partnership agreements.
- Manage each fund’s portfolio valuation process.
- Ensure accuracy for fund and investment performance tracking.
- Assist deal teams with ﬁnancial due diligence
- Interface with deal execution professionals and portfolio company peers, as needed, to effectively meet the requirements of the position.
- Fund Accounting, Administration, and Tax:
- Actively manage the relationship and workﬂows with the Firm’s Fund Administrator.
- Manage and maintain the ﬁrm’s accounting and reporting technologies.
- Create and manage internal ﬁnancial controls and accounting procedures in accordance with US GAAP.
- Manage tax requirements and oversee the preparation of fund and holding company tax returns.
- Investor Management and Relations:
- Manage the process for delivering quarterly and annual investor reports, K-1s and other ad-hoc communications.
- Manage investor capital calls and distributions.
- Respond to quarterly and ad-hoc investor information requests and coordinate with other business units (investor relations, investment team, business development, etc.) as necessary to complete requests
- Legal and Operations:
- Analyze complex partnership agreements for thorough understanding of reporting requirements and partner economics.
- Assist in new fund launches including on-boarding service providers, opening bank accounts, and coordinating with internal and external legal counsel on entity formation and fund documents.
- Manage internal operations, including real estate, insurance, payroll
- 10+ years of experience preferably with a mix of public accounting and investment management industry experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Results-oriented with high prioritization skills, ability to handle multiple tasks and deliver projects in a timely fashion.
- Must use discretion working with conﬁdential and sensitive information regarding the company, executive management, and investors
- Highly collaborative with excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team structure
- Strong work ethic, self-motivated, proactive and capable of thriving in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated proﬁciency with Microsoft Oﬃce (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Comfort learning and using data management and visualization web applications such as Airtable, Stacker, and Aumni.
Not required qualiﬁcations, but a plus:
- Prior experience interacting with investors and limited partners or institutional fundraise
- Prior experience as a fund accountant or fund auditor
- Master of Laws in Taxation or tax law experience
- Certiﬁed Public Accountant
To apply please email a cover letter and your resume to email@example.com
The following are the core values that guide our work both internally at the ﬁrm and externally with our founders, co-investors, and limited partners.
1. Love of place
- We love the Rocky mountains and the lifestyle our communities allow. We choose to live in the mountains and treasure a balanced life where we can work hard while also honoring our commitments to family, community, and wellbeing.
- We strive to create meaningful impact on the communities we invest in to drive company formation, job creation, and income growth, and to build an organization that sustains across generations and individuals.
2. Respect for the work of founders
- NFC strives to act with integrity, to empathize with the incredible challenges and diﬃculties faced by founders and company builders.
- We know that our founders expect us to be there for them and to follow through on our commitments to be available, honest, and supportive.
3. No Politics
- Politics is a pernicious tax on organizations that challenges trust and raises anxiety. We aspire to be collaborative, supportive, and a member of a high performance team vs a collection of talented individuals.
4. Diverse perspectives and intellectual rigor
- NFC is characterized by hard work, thoughtful analysis, intellectual rigor, and an expectation that we do the hard work to make informed decisions.
- Diverse teams outperform non-diverse teams. We value diversity of thought, perspective, and experience and encourage inclusive challenges to thinking.
Jenny Zemel serves as Manager, Special Projects where she provides interdepartmental support on a variety of projects for both the NVCA team and Venture Forward team. She also helps support the administrative needs of NVCA’s President and CEO Bobby Franklin.