Venture Capital Fellow – BioGenerator Ventures
BioGenerator is hiring a Venture Capital Fellow, BioGenerator Ventures to join BioGenerator’s team and help build and invest into promising new St. Louis companies. BioGenerator is the startup arm of BioSTL, which has been a leader in the long-term development of St. Louis’ bioscience startup ecosystem. BioGenerator Ventures’ current portfolio is aligned with St. Louis’ strengths, including therapeutics, diagnostics, medical devices, agtech, food/nutrition, and healthcare. In 2021, BioGenerator Ventures invested in 18 startup companies and the BioGenerator Ventures portfolio raised over $1B in capital. In total, these portfolio companies have raised over $2.5B.
The Venture Capital Fellows Program aims to enhance the St. Louis bioscience ecosystem through training of a diverse workforce, while preparing a diverse group of young scientists to become leaders in a vibrant startup environment.
The Venture Capital Fellow, BioGenerator Ventures will be a full-time, salaried position with BioGenerator. Previous Venture Capital Fellows include:
- Mark Lewis, PhD – Vice President at Wugen
- Amiad Fredman, MD – Chief Product Officer at Aegis Digital Health
- Trey Suntrup, PhD – Principal at BioGenerator Ventures
The Venture Capital Fellows Program will engage top talent to join a 12- to 24-month, full-time immersive fellowship with BioGenerator. Modeled after National Institutes of Health and other competitive scientific fellowships, this program will offer individuals a customized opportunity to develop and grow in the areas of early-stage venture capital investing and startup company creation, growth and development. Over the course of the program, it is anticipated individual Fellows will gain exposure in several of the following areas of focus.
- Generating deal flow
- Reviewing technical and business proposals
- Conducting market and competitive research
- Evaluating founders and entrepreneurs and startup company teams
- Performing investment due diligence on potential and existing portfolio companies
- Creating financial projections and valuations
- Writing investment memos
- with other investors
- Capitalization structures
- Corporate governance
- Building business pitches and fundraising
- Company strategy
- Licensing and protecting intellectual property
- Product development
- Sales and marketing
- Evaluating exit opportunities
This unique program will provide Fellows with strategic skills and, most importantly, real-life investment experience required in the investment and corporate communities. It also provides highly qualified, intellectually curious and high-achieving individuals exposure to BioGenerator’s network of local and national entrepreneurs, portfolio cpmpany management teams, other venture funds, and industry professionals. Having worked closely with BioGenerator’s partner organizations, Fellows completing the program will be well-positioned for careers with investment firms, startup companies, and corporations.
Scope of Work
- As a member of the BioGenerator team, this position, utilizing your scientific and analytical experience, will actively participate in the following responsibilities:
- Provide analyses of potential investments through written and oral recommendations, including all aspects of the technology and business
- Work closely with investment staff in multiple capacities to drive efforts that:
- Source potential investments from institutions, entrepreneurs and syndication partners
- Advance non-portfolio companies to the point that they are investable by BioGenerator or others
- Evaluate the merits for follow-on funding of existing BioGenerator portfolio companies
- Assist existing BioGenerator portfolio companies and entrepreneurs as needed
- Continue to improve BioGenerator’s programs and approaches through new ideas and ongoing problem solving
- Enhance BioGenerator’s reputation as a national leader in innovation and bioscience commercialization
- Contribute to deliverables of partner organizations through collaborative projects customized for each Fellow
- Projects may relate to investments made by partner organizations or working to directly assist startup companies
- High quality decision making in the investment process for BioGenerator and its partners
- Investment candidates are better prepared to seek investments from BioGenerator and others
- Advance the local and national reputation of BioSTL, BioGenerator and St. Louis bioscience opportunities
- At the conclusion of the 1- to 2-year program, each Fellow is expected to be a strong candidate for investment, startup, and/or corporate job opportunities
- PhD in biosciences or related discipline from major research institution, or MD
- Strong interest in venture capital and technology commercialization
- Previous exposure to startups, licensing, market analysis and due diligence preferred
Must reside in the in St. Louis region or be willing to relocate.
Excellent inquiry, persuasive, collaborative, and communication skills, both with internal and external audiences; ability to excel in both a team setting and independently; excellent listener; ability to see and focus on the big picture while simultaneously keeping attention on the key details; excellent judgment and critical thinking; prioritization and project planning skills; ability to balance risk with opportunity; must be able to take a non-biased approach to evaluations, keying on objective information rather than subjective; commitment to building an inclusive, diverse team and organizational culture.
Pay is commensurate with experience and is benchmarked against market rates. Benefit package for full-time employees includes excellent health coverage, generous retirement savings match, tuition assistance, and other benefits to support employees personally and professionally.
Please upload a detailed letter of interest and resume on the BioSTL.org website under this job posting heading. Confidential inquiries can be submitted to email@example.com with this job posting title in the subject line.
For more information, visit Biogenerator.org, and biostl.org.
Full vaccination status against Covid is required. Exemptions may be granted for medical contraindications and for sincerely held religious beliefs. Exemption requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
BioGenerator is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable ecosystem. We are committed to seeking individuals of diverse backgrounds and experiences who will bring diverse perspectives to this work. This is an equal employment opportunity.
BioGenerator, the startup arm of BioSTL creates and grows innovative companies through its two complementary approaches — investing through BioGenerator Ventures and comprehensive startup support through BioGenerator Labs. Visit BioGenerator.org for additional information and follow us on twitter @BioGeneratorSTL.
Since 2001, St. Louis nonprofit BioSTL has laid the foundation for the region’s innovation economy with a comprehensive set of transformational programs that advance St. Louis’ leadership in solving important world challenges in agriculture, medicine, health care, and other technology areas. BioSTL has introduced nationally acclaimed initiatives in startup creation and investment (BioGenerator), strategic business attraction (GlobalSTL), physical environment (including Cortex and BioGenerator Labs), entrepreneur support (Fundamentals), seed and venture capital, a diverse and inclusive workforce, and public policy. Find us online at biostl.org and follow us on twitter at @BioSTL.
If you are interested in this position, please apply here.
Jenny Zemel serves as Manager, Special Projects where she provides interdepartmental support on a variety of projects for both the NVCA team and Venture Forward team. She also helps support the administrative needs of NVCA’s President and CEO Bobby Franklin.