S3 Ventures is the largest venture capital firm focused on Texas. Backed by a philanthropic, multi-billion-dollar family for over a decade, we empower great entrepreneurs with the patient capital and true resources required to grow extraordinary, high-impact companies in Business Technology, Consumer Digital Experiences, and Healthcare Technology. With more than $900M in assets under management, we lead Seed, Series A, and Series B investments with the capacity to follow-on for the life of a company.
With S3’s recently announced $250M Fund VII, we are seeking an Associate to identify and diligence new investment opportunities, support deal execution, and execute special projects for our portfolio companies. The Associate will play a significant role in investment decisions and be relied upon by our portfolio companies to support them as they grow.
- Associate will add value throughout the investment lifecycle by:
- Sourcing (~20%): Identify and conduct highly targeted introductory calls with potential new investments
- Diligence (~20%): Participate in diligence meetings, review pitch decks, analyze data, research markets, speak with experts, and synthesize diligence findings on potential new investments
- Deal Execution (~20%): Execute new/follow-on investments by drafting investment memos, building financial plans, modeling the pro-forma cap table, and managing the legal process
- Portfolio Management (~25%): Work in an operational and strategic capacity with S3’s existing portfolio companies, including executing projects for our portfolio and observing board meetings
- Exits (~15%): Provide transaction support when S3’s portfolio companies are acquired
- Associate will attend S3’s weekly partner meetings, where new investments and port-cos are discussed
- Associate may assist with ad-hoc tasks, such as the creating of internal tools and marketing content
- Top performers will have the opportunity to be promoted to Senior Associate after 2-3 years. With exceptional performance and organizational need, there is the potential for a longer-term career path.
Candidates should have 3-6 years of total prior work experience. We recognize a variety of backgrounds can be successful in this role, but generally look for a mix of:
- A couple of years at an investment bank, venture capital or private equity firm, or strategy consultancy
- Additional experience at a technology company in a finance/ops, product, strategy, bus-dev, or corp-dev
- Demonstrated interest and love of learning about new technology, business models, and start-ups
- Excitement to work from S3’s office in Austin (this is an in-office role, and is not remote or hybrid)
Qualified candidates will also meet the following criteria:
- Ability to quickly understand and analyze new business models, technologies, and medical devices
- Operational mindset and knowledge base that enables the identification of a business’s key value drivers
- Exceptional modeling skills, a strong understanding of finance and accounting, high attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written business communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills
- Superior work ethic with an ownership mentality and uncompromising personal integrity
- College degree with a track record of academic and professional success
S3 Ventures will be accepting applications for this position on a rolling basis until filled. Please send resumes to email@example.com.
Jenny Zemel serves as Manager, Special Projects where she provides interdepartmental support on a variety of projects for both the NVCA team and Venture Forward team. She also helps support the administrative needs of NVCA’s President and CEO Bobby Franklin.