Differential Venture Partners is seeking an Associate to join our growing team. The ideal candidate will be highly organized, have prior experience working in the venture capital industry, and possess a passion for technology and startups.
Main Job Responsibilities:
– Actively source, evaluate, and present investment recommendations to DVP’s investment committee about potential investment opportunities.
– Curate the investment opportunity pipeline and effectively manage communication with founders.
– Work with the DVP Partners to perform due diligence evaluations of potential portfolio companies.
– Help identify and execute opportunities to propel portfolio companies to greater success. Examples include helping to identify key hires, business development assistance, customer introductions, financial and fundraising planning and becoming a highly respected, trusted confidant to our founders.
– Lead industry research efforts and present findings to the DVP team.
– Help our team identify and track prospective portfolio companies and industries in which we are interested, such as applied machine learning and artificial intelligence, FinTech, Cybersecurity and
– Be active in the New York startup community through meet-ups, conferences and writing thought leadership pieces. Enhance DVP’s network, marketing and communications.
Ideal Skills and Characteristics:
– Deep interest in technology, entrepreneurship and business.
– Self-motivated, creative and highly productive. We are looking for a person with a committed work ethic who is able to envision, prioritize and complete parallel projects without requiring
hands-on guidance in a fast paced, fluid environment. Excellent multitasking skills and a willingness to own your projects.
– Entrepreneurial and scrappy ability to get things done.
– Ability to earn the trust of founders, co-investors, and other valued partners.
– Strong due diligence skills. Ability to (i) quickly evaluate the key questions, risks or upside to an investment opportunity, and (ii) prioritize and execute due diligence to flesh out these issues.
– Strong financial analysis skills. You will be able to dive quickly into a business plan or financial model, identify and judge key business drivers or vulnerabilities.
– Technical dexterity. Ability to product manage a website and/or identify and work with technical resources to build and handle internal tools if appropriate.
– Strong business and personal judgment.
– Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
– Strong critical thinking and discussion skills. Unafraid to advocate for and debate your opinion.
– Desire and willingness to learn, give and take feedback and challenge conventional thinking.
– An ability to identify important tech trends and business models.
Preferred Prior Experiences:
– 2-4 years in a venture capital fund; preferably in the New York ecosystem
– Startup or tech company operational experience a plus
– Analytical background from consulting or banking industry
– Bachelor’s degree preferably in Business, Economics, Accounting/Finance or Computer Science or Engineering
– Pre-MBA preferred
– Very strong Microsoft Excel skills are a must
Compensation and Benefits:
– Competitive salary dependent upon experience
– Annual discretionary bonus
– Company contribution to health insurance
– Other benefits available through payroll provider
– Paid time off and flexible work environment
Differential Venture Partners embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and a 1-2 page investment memo about a North American-based company that fits Differential’s investment thesis to email@example.com. We expect this to be a highly competitive process so please submit applications by December 11th . The successful candidate should plan to join the team on or before January 1!