The Venture Capital Foundation | Position Description
Position: Research Director
Reports to: Executive Director of the Foundation and appropriate individual at NVCA
Location: San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC
Note: Title and compensation are commensurate with experience
Newly created and not yet formally launched, The Venture Capital Foundation (“Foundation”) is a
501(c)(3) organization focused on preserving the past and shaping the future of the U.S. venture capital
ecosystem to ensure it continues to positively benefit the economy and society, as well as reach its full
potential as it evolves. The Foundation achieves its mission through four key areas of focus: advancing a
more diverse and inclusive ecosystem; educating a new generation of VCs and equipping them with the
tools to succeed; researching the impact VC has had on our economy and society; and capturing the rich
history of the industry and communicating insights to inform the future.
The Foundation is a supporting organization of the National Venture Capital Association (NVCA).
The Research Director is responsible for creating, managing, and executing on the research and data
strategy and pipeline for the Foundation and NVCA to ensure they fulfill their respective missions. The
position is split between the Foundation and NVCA. The Research Director reports directly to the
Executive Director of the Foundation and the appropriate individual at NVCA.
Since the Foundation is a new entity, the Research Director will be part of a startup-like environment
and will be given wide latitude to help shape this new organization as well as create and lead projects
through its evolution.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
• Work with the Foundation Executive Director, Board of Directors, and Advisory Committees to
create and manage the Foundation’s research and data strategy and pipeline
• Work with the NVCA President & CEO and Policy team to manage and support NVCA’s research
and data strategy and pipeline, including policy priorities
• Educate stakeholders, including policymakers, member firms, and the media, on critical industry
trends and startup activity in certain states and districts
• Manage a data partnership with PitchBook
• Lead the production of NVCA’s annual Yearbook publication and quarterly Venture Monitor
• Create content for and publish/share insights via NVCA and Foundation channels such as
reports, articles, blogs, webinars, conferences, presentations, and ad-hoc requests
• Manage the content and update information publicly displayed on the NVCA and Foundation
• Work with academics, regional associations, and other organizations to partner on industry
• Serve as NVCA’s lead for the NVCA-Deloitte Human Capital Survey
• Keep apprised of developments—primarily research, data, and trends—that impact the
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
• 5+ years of experience including venture capital/private equity research and data analysis skills
you have gained through working at a commercial data provider, consulting firm, investment
bank, venture capital/private equity firm, non-profit, startup, or similar organization.
• Synthesizing data trends and insights—both written and verbally—for decision makers of
different knowledge levels is a must. A strong understanding of the venture capital industry,
good analytical skills, and experience working with venture capital data/databases are also
important, as is the ability to understand research and issues related to the venture capital
• Budgets and Projections: You have experience setting research budgets and developing datadriven projections.
• Intellectual curiosity and project management with a desire to dive into complex topics
relevant to venture capital investors and entrepreneurs, and an interest to develop both
qualitative and quantitative research to educate industry participants and outsiders on the
impact, breadth, and depth of venture capital.
• Strong analytical and communications skills to effectively communicate both verbally and in
writing to external groups, partners, funders, sponsors, staff, and Board of Directors.
• Spirit of service and commitment to serve the entire entrepreneurial ecosystem across the
U.S. You have an interest in seeing a healthy and thriving venture industry, including the ability
to effectively address the needs and concerns of an industry.
• Advanced knowledge of VC/PE databases such as PitchBook, and Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint
Outlook, and Word; working knowledge of Salesforce or other CRM, Slack, Zoom, WordPress,
and Tableau or other data visualization software
• Education: You have a Bachelor’s degree (required), an advanced degree is preferred.
Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter, and short writing sample to Maryam Haque, Executive Director of The Venture Capital Foundation, at
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At the Foundation, we are committed to creating a work environment in which everyone on our team is
engaged and performing at high levels, and where differences in outlook, perspective, and background
are seen as adding value. We strive to attract, invest in, and develop the talents of people of diverse
backgrounds who reflect the society and community in which we live and do business. We believe that
enhanced business relationships, greater innovation, increased productivity, and better decision making
are among the benefits of the diverse and inclusive culture we seek to foster.