The Venture Capital Foundation | Position Description
Position: Programs Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC
Note: Title and compensation are commensurate with experience
Newly created and not yet formally launched, The Venture Capital Foundation (“Foundation”) is a
501(c)(3) organization focused on preserving the past and shaping the future of the U.S. venture capital
ecosystem to ensure it continues to positively benefit the economy and society, as well as reach its full
potential as it evolves. The Foundation achieves its mission through four key areas of focus: advancing a
more diverse and inclusive ecosystem; educating a new generation of VCs and equipping them with the
tools to succeed; researching the impact VC has had on our economy and society; and capturing the rich
history of the industry and communicating insights to inform the future.
The Foundation is a supporting organization of the National Venture Capital Association (NVCA).
The Programs Director is responsible for creating, managing, and executing the Foundation’s programs
to ensure they fulfill its mission. The Programs Director reports directly to the Executive Director of the
Since the Foundation is a new entity, the Programs Director will be part of a startup-like environment to
help shape this new organization and lead programs through its evolution.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Work with Executive Director, Board of Directors, and Advisory Committees to develop pipeline
of programs, including in-person events, virtual programs, videos, trainings, and digital content
and thought leadership
- Coordinate with Research Director, Marketing & Communications Director, and other
Foundation staff on projects and programs
- Create agendas and source content for programs
- Manage all aspects of events and programs, including venues, speakers, registration, marketing
and communications, and feedback
- Develop and strengthen relationships with content partners and financial supporters for
- Periodically travel to host Foundation events or attend relevant industry events
- Occasionally assist with NVCA programs, events, or projects
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- 5+ years of experience including program management skills you have gained through working
at a high-growth startup, consulting firm, investment bank, accelerator, venture capital/private
equity firm, non-profit or related field.
- Budgets and Projections: You will have experience setting program budgets and developing
- Intellectual curiosity and strong sense of project ownership with a desire to dive into issues
affecting venture capital investors and entrepreneurs, and an ability to synthesize salient
information to inform our strategy and ensure we are meeting the Foundation’s mission.
- Strong analytical and communications skills to effectively communicate both verbally and in
writing to external groups, partners, funders, sponsors, our team, and Board of Directors.
- Spirit of service and commitment to serve the entire entrepreneurial ecosystem across the
U.S. You have experience in managing a variety of customer/stakeholder situations, including
the ability to understand, diagnose, and effectively address the needs and concerns of an
industry and program participants.
- Working knowledge of Salesforce or other CRM, Slack, VC/PE databases such as PitchBook,
Zoom, WordPress, Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Education, you have a Bachelor’s degree (required), an advanced degree is preferred.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to Maryam
Haque, Executive Director of The Venture Capital Foundation, at
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At the Foundation, we are committed to creating a work environment in which everyone on our team is
engaged and performing at high levels, and where differences in outlook, perspective, and background
are seen as adding value. We strive to attract, invest in, and develop the talents of people of diverse
backgrounds who reflect the society and community in which we live and do business. We believe that
enhanced business relationships, greater innovation, increased productivity, and better decision making
are among the benefits of the diverse and inclusive culture we seek to foster.