The Portfolio Manager is a part of the American Express Ventures team based in New York, NY. The Amex Ventures team plays a key role in developing and executing long-term corporate strategic initiatives which contribute to American Express’ market leadership and growth. The team invests in innovative startups to accelerate American Express’ efforts in consumer commerce, B2B services and to enhance enterprise capabilities.
In this exciting opportunity, the incumbent will be an integral part of the Ventures group by managing investment portfolio related activity and deriving insights to help formulate fund strategy. The position will play a key role in managing portfolio reporting, setting efficient and repeatable processes, and executing portfolio related transactions.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for portfolio reporting, including updates to CFO and other senior management, as well as quarterly portfolio review processes (ex. impairment, mark-to-market)
- Key to setting investment management standards, methodologies and processes to track investment returns on a portfolio basis
- Work with internal & external partners to execute shareholder responsibilities related to portfolio transactions (ex. IPOs)
- Analyzing data from the portfolio, market, and industry to help formulate investment strategy for the Ventures team and provide insights to senior management
- Support setting financial targets for the fund and tracking performance against benchmarks, goals and success metrics
- Documenting portfolio and transaction related standards
- Responsible for maintaining and managing the Ventures Portfolio database
- Leading the coordination across Finance / Legal / Compliance, and the broader Ventures team, to fulfill reporting requirements
- The role is a multi-faceted one and requires both analytical, strategic, and interpersonal skill sets
- 3-5 years previous experience must include financial background (familiarity with financial statements & valuation techniques)
- Ability to develop & implement repeatable processes with the goal of driving efficiency
- Comfortable working with large data sets & synthesizing insights
- Strong communication skills
- Financial, analytical and valuation skills; note a technical assessment will be administered as part of the interview process
- Proven ability to influence and collaborate with others and drive results
- Interest in FinTech and startup investing
- Bachelor’s degree required
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
If interested in this position, please apply here.