As an initiative of the Kentucky Science and Technology Corporation (KSTC) our team manages seed stage venture capital funds focused on supporting a thriving community of companies. We provide capital to companies at the earliest stages of their development, giving founders critical initial runway. We leverage our network of founders, investors, advisors, entrepreneur support organizations, universities, and enterprise partners to help our portfolio companies grow. We work in partnership with the Kentucky Cabinet for Economic Development and help lead venture development for the Commonwealth.
KSTC is a statewide independent and innovative non-profit and leader in developing and managing creative initiatives in education, entrepreneurship, and economic competitiveness.
For nearly twenty years, we’ve focused our work at KSTC on funding and investing in over 300 Kentucky-based companies, providing capital that helps founders achieve their big vision. However, there’s still work to do to shorten the path to capital access. We’ve learned that investors, ourselves included, must meet founders where they are and evolve with them. Funding needs to be more accessible so founders can move faster and build impactful businesses. We are reinforcing our platform and expanding our team so founders can engage with us directly, learn more, and apply for investment with as little friction as possible. We hope to provide founders more visibility into our process and shorten their path to find funding, allowing us to continue investing in their big ideas.
For our primary fund, Kentucky Enterprise Fund, we have invested $37.2M in 158 Kentucky-based founders and manage an active portfolio of 72 companies.
The Platform Manager is responsible for scaling and executing our platform strategy at KSTC. Platform includes managing portfolio company communications, events, content creation, building network/community, designing portfolio support services, and building internal & external tooling. This role is a generalist role, and if you’re a previous startup founder or early employee who’s been through the high and lows of startup life, developed a brand, built community, connected people, managed business development, and many other responsibilities that come from working at startups, we’d love to talk to you.
What you’ll be doing alongside our team:
Network Cultivation and Growth
KSTC has a strong network of founders, investors, ESOs, enterprise companies, universities, and other stakeholders that you’d be responsible for curating, managing, and growing. Currently, much of our engagement with these stakeholders is ad-hoc, but we know there’s a better way to meaningfully activate their superpowers with the support of a Platform professional. We’re counting on you to grow and activate our network!
KSTC has more than 70 active investments; you’ll be charged with fielding and fulfilling requests and inquiries regularly. You’ll manage our CRM and other software solutions to address founder needs.
In this role, you’ll establish direct relationships with our Portfolio founders and build a deep understanding of their businesses and general needs in order to find and give and/or connect them with the relevant advice and support they need.
You’ll work to cultivate, manage, and leverage networks + services to help elevate our portfolio companies. Examples include:
- portfolio company onboarding process
- enterprise customer network introductions
- investor network introductions
- subject matter expert network
- mentor, advisor network
- internship, talent network
- vendor, services network
- resource library of best practices, templates, guides, and vendor discounts
- partnerships with VC platform focused SaaS companies
- programming for business development, product, marketing, and talent
- develop and maintain community platform
- create and maintain a community onboarding and communications process
- cultivate community by sourcing and providing content, programming, resources, and regular updates
- maintain communication channels to encourage founders to build relationships and solicit help
You’ll also work to explore and implement new ways to meaningfully engage and support portfolio companies, i.e., developing and executing an event strategy for joint events with founders, partners, customers, experts, investors, etc.
Communication and Marketing Support
You will aid the team in developing social and long-form content to “share the wins,” announcing portfolio company news and KSTC updates. You’ll also be the central point of contact for many portfolio companies, sharing updates and resources with them, as well as curating portfolio company updates for us to cross share and amplify. Additionally, you’ll work with the KSTC Venture Finance team as well as the broader KSTC team, network, and founders to develop thought leadership content that elevates entrepreneurship.
- 1-3 years of experience in building and managing communities of executives and entrepreneurs; relevant backgrounds include network management, recruiting, field marketing, and or partnership management. Ideally, that experience is from a role at an early-stage startup or venture capital firm (preferred)
- Bachelor’s Degree or five years relevant work experience required
- Must be legally authorized to work in the USA
- Excellent relationship-builder and communicator, polished executive presence, and ability to instill confidence in your work
- Ability to adapt and excel autonomously
- Capacity to direct strategic initiatives while executing on tactical duties, manage and deliver on multiple, simultaneous projects
- Clear and direct communication style with attention to detail and accuracy, a high sense of urgency, excellence is the minimum requirement.
- Super organized, proactive, and efficient.
- Creative problem solver
- Take a data-driven approach to develop and implement initiatives.
- Experience with CRM, project management and database software solutions like Affinity, Monday.com, and Airtable are a plus!
Our Team & Approach
We’re a small team, and we work well remotely. You’ll be coming in as a core team member to help elevate our impact. We work as peers and collaborators and have a founder-first mentality, which has allowed us to garner a founder-friendly reputation that we focus on maintaining. Together, we’re working to develop a thriving innovation economy propelled by emerging entrepreneurs to help garner $1B AUM across our region in the next ten years.
What’s in it for you?
Opportunity to be a part of building the next level of an established venture firm.
You will have access, flexibility, and the ability to learn about all aspects of venture capital investing and post-investment support.
A chance to work alongside a small team of former operators turned venture professionals with a combined 20+ years of venture experience, track record, and experience working across all aspects of venture.
The position location is flexible and may be based in or near Louisville, Lexington, or Northern Kentucky with the ability to work remotely. Due to KSTC headquarters being in Lexington and the statewide nature of our client and customer base, the position may require some travel to stakeholder locations, predominantly in Kentucky.
KSTC is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Comprehensive Health Package – medical, dental, and vision plans
401(k) Retirement Plan, Life Insurance, Dependent Care FSA, Healthcare FSA or HSA
Paid long-term disability insurance
Paid vacation and holidays
Annual stipend for industry-related conferences/professional development
Monthly stipend for phone + internet
To apply, please fill out this form: https://airtable.com/shrezADfXeRiBZ1CG. Applications are now being accepted and will be processed as they are received, with screening for interviews beginning immediately.