Yamaha Motor Ventures & Laboratory Silicon Valley (“YMVSV”) exists to accelerate the efforts of teams driving disruptive change. We have the resources and backing of Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. (“YMC”), but we also have the openness and agility of a startup. We also manage the Yamaha Motor Exploratory Fund, a $100M dedicated fund that invests in exploratory areas such as mobility, sustainability, robotics, agriculture, medicine, and aviation (the “Fund”).
YMVSV is seeking an experienced early-stage investor to serve as a Partner on the Fund’s investment team. A successful candidate is, among other things, a thought who sources new deals, delivers written and oral analyses of investment opportunities, participates in the due diligence process, negotiates and structures investments, and then manages and supports those investments as a board observer or director.
Partnering with the executive team and other key members, you will lead the investment planning process for one or more exploratory areas, and you will track key industry and competitive trends in those areas. You will also educate, shape and incubate ideas to feed the investment planning process. Lastly, you will leverage your operational/executional mindset to facilitate the translation of strategic plans into investments that create value for the future of Yamaha Motor. This position reports to the CEO and is eligible to receive carried interest in the Fund.
- Develop an investment thesis for one or more opportunity areas and establish investment priorities within those areas.
- Establish referral networks and relationships to drive high quality deal flow and manage existing relationships with entrepreneurs, investors, academics, and industry leaders in those opportunity areas.
- Lead the team in sourcing high quality investment opportunities.
- Serve as the primary point of contact with the management of prospective portfolio companies.
- Lead due diligence and conduct research through interviews with prospective portfolio company management, industry participants, competitors, and the company’s customers/clients.
- Perform business and financial analysis using comparable research data, company data and financial models.
- Supervise the construction of detailed financial models, including optimal capital structures, valuations, investment prices, and exit scenarios.
- Draft or review term sheets, expressions of interest, or letters of intent.
- Represent YMVSV and negotiate with prospective portfolio company management or other venture capital investors, as well as other third parties to discuss and finalize deal terms and transaction documents.
- Be able to stand your ground and know when to walk away.
- Draft investment memorandum for initial and final Investment Committee review and approval.
- Review legal documents to ensure fidelity to deal terms under supervision of YMVSV’s General Counsel and outside legal counsel.
- Oversee on-going relationships with portfolio companies to enhance strategic and financial value for both YMVSV and the portfolio companies.
- Attend portfolio company board meetings as a board observer or Director.
- Draft quarterly reports, analyze issues as they arise with portfolio companies, and provide feedback, insights and learnings to YMC.
- Other duties and projects as needed.
A Partner must demonstrate a high-level of achievement regarding deal origination, deal closings, realized investment returns, and maintaining, as well as cultivating, a robust network of relevant industry contacts.
A Partner will have:
- Minimum of 6 years of investment experience in corporate venture capital or venture capital is required.
- Demonstrated experience in running investments in early-stage technology companies from initial identification to exit.
- Experience working directly with business executives, entrepreneurs, angel investors and VCs, scientists, and engineers in a cross-cultural environment.
- Team player with an energetic, positive and proactive attitude.
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment and deal with ambiguity, uncertainty and shifting priorities.
- Ability to interact with business clients and interdepartmental colleagues locally, nationally and internationally.
- Ability to root-cause challenges, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Strong understanding of financial concepts including P&L, balance sheets, cash flow statements, cap tables, and ROI models.
- Ability to assess complex market landscapes and create focused, integrated investment plans.
- Complete proficiency with Gmail, Gcal and MS Office.
- Possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License and a driving record from the state/country of your primary residence that meets YMVSV’s insurance standards.
- Able to pass a seven (7) year background check.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Masters or relevant field or job experience is highly desirable.
- MBA or JD strongly preferred.
Travel & Location
Position is based in Palo Alto, CA.
Frequent domestic and international travel of approximately 30-40% may be expected or required, particularly to areas such as Japan, Europe, and Australia.
Must be a local candidate. Relocation is not available.
To apply please go to: https://www.ymvsv.com/careers
YMVSV is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
AT YAMAHA, WE ARE THE “KANDO” CREATING COMPANY
What is Kando you ask? Quite simply, Kando is an emotion that is best described as the feeling of deep satisfaction and intense excitement that we experience when we encounter something of exceptional value. We create Kando for our customers by offering them the most exciting and highest quality products in our industry. But in order to achieve this, we need passionate people who believe in what we do. Is that you?
About Yamaha Motor Ventures & Laboratory Silicon Valley (“YMVSV”)
Our work encompasses venture capital investments, portfolio management, innovation projects, and strategic efforts in collaboration with Yamaha Motor’s global operations. We’re active members of the entrepreneurial ecosystem, and we value action-oriented efforts. Some of the areas we explore include the future of mobility, sustainability, robotics, agriculture, medicine, and aviation. YMVSV is a wholly owned subsidiary of Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. For more information: https://www.ymvsv.com/