Spectrum Equity is looking for a Marketing & Communications Manager who will collaborate closely with the VP of Investor Relations, internal investment team and portfolio company communication team members. This is a unique opportunity to build and amplify the brand of a top-notch growth equity firm with a portfolio of industry leading, fast growing internet-enabled software and information services companies.
The individual will be a key contributor in directing the firm’s communications strategy, shaping the voice of the firm by creating original, high-impact content and supporting the firm’s public relations efforts across several different marketing channels. Additionally, the individual will gain exposure to portfolio companies by supporting their communication initiatives and facilitating cross-portfolio company collaboration.
This is a full-time position to be based out of either Boston or San Francisco. Regardless of location, this individual will support team members in both geographies.
Responsibilities will include:
- Collaborate with investment team to write and produce press releases, blog posts, email newsletters, other marketing collateral
- Develop new content forms and series to highlight Spectrum team and expertise, portfolio companies and other thought leadership
- Partner with Managing Partners on an internal firmwide communications strategy, including the establishment of regular updates or newsletters for all employees
Social Media Profile
- Manage Spectrum’s social media channels (e.g. LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.) and post weekly updates related to the portfolio and team activity with a concerted effort behind pushing created content and to cultivate and grow a base of followers for Spectrum; and reshare relevant portfolio company news
- Monitor and update Spectrum’s online presence/public profiles to ensure accuracy and consistency
Reporter Relationship Management
- Craft pitches and manage outreach to reporters; secure deal announcement exclusives, interviews and other reporter interest related to portfolio activity and firm news
- Prepare portfolio company executives and Spectrum team personnel for reporter interviews; moderate and facilitate interview process
- Identify and enable relationship building meetings with top priority reporters
- Over time become a key spokesperson for Spectrum Equity on topics that matter to our fim, portfolio and industry; be a credible representative at conferences, industry events, firm meetings and with media
Portfolio Company Coordination
- Work with portfolio company leadership and their communications and marketing teams on media relations, issues management, and thought leadership
- Facilitate collaboration among portfolio company comms teams to share best practices – managing PR firms, content calendar planning, speaker engagements, media relationship management and monitoring, etc.
- Identify select speaking opportunities at relevant conferences for portfolio company leaders
- Research and coordinate PR opportunities/award submissions across the portfolio
Qualifications, key skills and attributes:
- BA/BS degree
- 5-8 years of related work experience in corporate communications, technology/financial (venture capital, private equity) journalism, media relations or related fields
- Excellent verbal communication, organizational, multitasking and interpersonal skills
- Exhibits strong copywriting and editing skills
- Proven ability to manage projects with multiple constituencies and establish program management priorities
- Ability to conceptualize and implement improvements to existing materials/processes and new forms of marketing content
- Comfortable interacting with media reporters
- Experience managing contractors and agency vendors
- A resourceful, self-starter
- Strong familiarity with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Google Analytics, Constant Contact and/or similar programs
If you are interested in exploring the Marketing & Communication Manager position, please submit an introductory email and résumé to our Talent Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Spectrum Equity
Spectrum Equity is a leading growth equity firm providing capital and strategic support to innovative companies in the information economy. For over 25 years, the firm has partnered with proven entrepreneurs and management teams to build long-term value in market-leading internet-enabled software and information services companies. Representative investments include Ancestry, Bats Global Markets, Definitive Healthcare, GoodRx, Grubhub, Lucid, Lynda.com, SurveyMonkey, The Knot Worldwide and Verafin. For more information, including a complete list of portfolio investments, visit www.spectrumequity.com.
Spectrum Equity is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Qualified applicants should be prepared to provide verification of their right to work lawfully in the U.S.