Managing Director, Techstars Future of Longevity Accelerator
Techstars operates 50+ Accelerator programs around the globe and we are looking for a Managing Director (MD) who can lead our latest initiative in Washington, D.C.
The MD leads the accelerator team, working closely with an operationally focused Program Manager (PM) and several cross-functional team members who support the program. The MD’s focus is sourcing, investing in, and supporting the best companies while leading and working with others to execute on Techstars’ proven playbook to deliver the best possible experience for founders.
The MD will work alongside our partner, Pivotal Ventures, an investment and incubation company created by Melinda Gates, to create the strategic direction and investment profile focused on innovation in longevity and care for the aging. This includes building a curated team of mentors, investors, and business advisors. The MD has overall ownership of the program success and partners with other operations units within Techstars to ensure exceptional delivery. The MD is ultimately responsible for turning good companies into great ones.
The objective of this Techstars Accelerator is to attract world-class start-ups addressing the unmet needs of those receiving and giving senior care. This is an exciting new Techstars accelerator positioned to make an impact in the world and we are now looking for an MD who will build the program even further.
In this role you will:
- Source, recruit and make the initial investment decisions in all companies selected.
- Partner with internal Techstars teams to create and drive the pipeline and recruitment of new companies across the entire Techstars network.
- Create and nurture a strong network of mentors, sponsors, investors and corporate partners for the program.
- Cultivate an inclusive culture that values diversity in the workplace and among accelerator participants and mentors.
- Work with the Corporate Partner, and in particular their senior leadership, to define the ongoing strategic direction and investment profile within the program.
- Develop strong relationships with leaders across the organization and throughout their network.
- Partner with program teams to create a holistic strategy and delivery plan and then own overall responsibility for the successful execution of the program.
- Proactively engage with the partner, and regularly (weekly) update on program and founder progress.
- Apply your expertise in term sheets, negotiations and fundraising.
- Align with the Techstars vision, direction and support of overall organization objectives.
- Engage with founders to ensure Techstars is delivering on the promise: “Do what’s right for the founder”.
- Share new best practices with the Techstars’ team globally and the Corporate Partner as you identify areas for innovation and improvement.
- Develop scalable systems and processes to regularly provide bi-directional updates to the Techstars’ investment portfolio across the region.
- Represent Techstars in the local community, both actively and passively.
- Service the Techstars’ network overall on and off-season: mentor new MDs, assist in other programs, work on strategic initiatives and develop meaningful and beneficial relationships across the Techstars ecosystem.
- Comply with relevant workplace policies, security requirements and the culture of the Corporate Partner hosting the program.
- 10+ years of experience in fast-paced environments within technology, startups, entrepreneurship and venture capital.
- Experience as a start-up founder with experience in raising capital, and building a business preferred.
- Understanding of and exposure to the senior care industry and/or corporate innovation strategies.
- Demonstrated history of championing diversity and inclusivity, both professionally and personally.
- Comfortable with a minimal amount of direction but high expectations.
- Comfortable commanding a room; public speaking and community development is part of the job.
- Fits the Techstars’ culture (#givefirst-i-ness, Entrepreneurial Inclination, High Quality and Network Focused).
- Knowledge of DiSC, StrengthsFinder or similar tools is highly desirable.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college/university or equivalent industry experience.
- Ability to travel 25% within territory, as well as to other meetings and events around the globe.
Techstars is the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed. Techstars founders and their teams connect with other entrepreneurs, experts, mentors, alumni, investors, community leaders, and corporate partners who will help their companies grow. Techstars operates three divisions: Techstars Startup Programs, Techstars Mentorship-Driven Accelerator Programs and Techstars Corporate Innovation Partnerships. Techstars Mentorship-Driven Accelerator Programs help founders do more faster and Techstars Startup Programs inspire, educate and connect entrepreneurs. Techstars Corporate Innovation Partnerships help brands supercharge growth by accelerating innovation and cultural transformation. Techstars accelerator portfolio includes more than 1,900 companies with a market cap of $24 Billion. www.techstars.com
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental disabilities, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, nor any other basis prohibited by law.
About Pivotal Ventures
Pivotal Ventures is an investment and incubation company created by Melinda Gates. We partner with organizations and individuals who share our urgency for social progress in the United States. Together, we grow understanding around issues, expand participation, encourage cooperation and fuel new approaches that substantially improve people’s lives.