5AM Ventures (“5AM”) is a leading venture capital firm focused on building next-generation
life science companies. We support companies that are working to solve important healthcare
needs through cutting-edge breakthroughs in medicine and science. 5AM also has an internal
company-creation initiative called “4:59”, which builds life science companies from conception
through launch within 5AM.
5AM was founded in 2002, has approximately $1.5 billion in capital commitments, and has
invested in 73 companies to date.
We are looking for an exceptional Legal Counsel in our Boston office to support 4:59 portfolio
companies that are being built within 5AM. Reporting to our General Counsel and working
closely with our Partner and Head of 4:59, this role functions as in-house counsel for all of the
4:59 startups and offers a unique opportunity to be involved with, and shape, multiple
companies from their inception.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide strategic advice on business transactions and business development opportunities
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide variety of commercial agreements, including collaboration, licensing, research, consulting, confidentiality, vendor, and material transfer agreements.
- Manage the 4:59 companies’ contract flow to ensure timely execution of agreements and ensure compliance with active contractual arrangements.
- Liaise with outside counsel and company management to develop and implement an IP strategy, and direct patent drafting and prosecution.
- Participate in 4:59 company meetings and provide general guidance to the companies on day-to-day IP issues that arise.
- Support business operations and provide direction and counsel regarding
compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Stay abreast of laws, legislative developments, and developing external trends.
- Assist with a variety of HR related matters for 4:59 companies, including offer
letters and form agreements for employees and consultants.
- Collaborate with 4:59 companies’ management to adopt stage appropriate
The successful candidate has a life-science legal background and will ideally possess these key
- J.D. from an accredited law school and admission to any state bar in the United States.
- At least 5 years of legal experience advising life science companies, in-house and/or at a
law firm, preferably early stage and/or venture-backed companies.
- Experience with commercial and business development transactions (including contract
drafting and negotiations) and IP licensing.
- Demonstrated ability to balance legal and business considerations, problem-solve, make
pragmatic decisions and operate in a fast-paced environment.
The successful candidate has these interpersonal competencies:
- Willingness to “roll up sleeves” and take an active role in all legal and IP matters.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with senior
business leaders and other professionals and colleagues at all levels of an organization.
- Adaptable and flexible approach.
- Ability to work independently, managing, and prioritizing multiple matters with little
- Integrity, credibility and professionalism.
- Effective listener and relationship-builder with a positive and enthusiastic outlook.
Please submit introductions and/or applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.