Let the good times roll! NVCA and the UC Berkeley School of Law’s Startup@BerkeleyLaw initiative are hosting our second VC University LIVE in the South with the A. B. Freeman School of Business at Tulane University in New Orleans on September 19-21. VC University LIVE South is a three-day in-person program with several goals, including shining a spotlight on the South’s startup ecosystem, convening industry leaders in the South and the coasts, offering education to newer entrants to VC (e.g., cap table labs, VC terms and processes, mock deal negotiation), and discussing advanced issues in VC (e.g. case studies, public policy issues). We invite you to join us in September in New Orleans!
NVCA had our successful first VC University LIVE in the Midwest with the University of Michigan Ross School of Business in May in Ann Arbor with 60 attendees and 30 speakers from across the country.
Why are we taking the next one to the South?
While a few markets (i.e., California, New York, and Massachusetts) continue to attract the majority of venture dollars, emerging venture ecosystems remain a big focus for NVCA and VC University, given the growth of startup activity in new regions across the country. A few quick facts about venture capital in the South*, from the NVCA 2019 Yearbook and 2Q 2019 PitchBook-NVCA Venture Monitor:
- 258 active VC investors in 2018
- $10.6 billion in venture capital assets under management at the end of 2018
- Since 2014, startups in the South have raised nearly $38 billion across about 7,900 investments.
- From 2013 to 2018, the South saw a CAGR of +9.65% in capital investment.
- Startups in the South have attracted approximately 8% of annual U.S. VC deal count and 14% of U.S. total capital invested since 2014.
- Specific to Louisiana, startups have raised $205 million across 112 investments since 2014.
Notable investments in Louisiana
Who should attend VC University LIVE South?
The target audience for VC University LIVE is entrepreneurs, angel investors, VCs, attorney, and anyone else looking to learn about cutting-edge issues in emerging venture finance and connect with local leaders in the South and influencers from Silicon Valley.
If you’re a South-based professional, come network with peers across the country and learn best practices to strengthen your firm/portfolio companies. If you’re based outside the South, we encourage you to us this opportunity to network with professionals in the region, learn more about the investment opportunity in the South, and discuss important industry issues with your peers.
If you can’t make it to New Orleans, check back to see our 2020 VC University LIVE locations or consider joining the next VC University online certificate program cohort!
What topics will be covered at VC University LIVE South, and who are the speakers?
- Keynote speakers Bobby Franklin (NVCA); Jan Garfinkle (Arboretum Ventures); Michael Hecht (GNO, Inc.); Scott Kupor (Andreessen Horowitz); and Kate Mitchell (Scale Venture Partners)
- Deal Lab Term Sheets and Cap Table Modeling with Adam Sterling (UC Berkeley); Scott James (DCVC); and Neil Pai (Founders Fund)
- Current Trends in VC with Frank Dalton (Fulcrum Equity Partners); Katie Gray (In-Q-Tel); Chris Booker (Frist Cressey Ventures); Adair Newhall (Greenspring Associates); and Ashley Yesayan (Revolution)
- Value + Capital in Emerging Ecosystems led by Rob Lalka (Tulane); Patrick Comer (Lucid); and Chris Meaux (Waitr)
- Two Case Study Sessions with Les Alexander (Tulane); Joe Lovett (Louisiana Fund); Myke Yest (Tulane); and Chris Booker (Frist Cressey Ventures)
- Mock Venture Deal Negotiations led by Rick Babb (Louisiana Fund) and Scott Whittaker (Stone Pigman Law Firm)
- LP Trends & Insights with Eric Woo (AngelList) and Mike Taylor (Adams Street Partners)
- Negotiations Workshop, and more!
View our website for our full, latest agenda with additional confirmations.
Many thanks to our program sponsors Callais Capital Management, Deloitte, and Jones Walker!
About VC University
Launched in 2019 by NVCA and UC Berkeley, VC University is an educational program that seeks to democratize access to the venture ecosystem through education. VC University has two components: 1) an online certificate program; and 2) in-person events with local universities in emerging ecosystems (i.e., VC University LIVE). Contact us at email@example.com with questions.
*For this analysis, we combined “Southeast” (AL, FL, GA, MS, NC, and SC) and “South” (AR, KY, LA, OK, TN, TX) from the NVCA 2019 Yearbook and PitchBook-NVCA Venture Monitor.