Investment Principal – Northpond Ventures
Northpond Ventures is a leading global science, medical, and technology focused venture firm, with in excess of $1 billion of committed capital and offices in Cambridge (Harvard Square), San Francisco, and Bethesda. Recognized in 2019 and 2020 by Silicon Valley Bank as the most-active investor in the life science tools and diagnostics industries, Northpond Ventures is very active in all disciplines related to healthcare and technology industries. For more information, please visit: npv.vc.
Northpond Ventures is seeking a motivated and dynamic Principal to join our investment team in either our Boston (Cambridge), San Francisco, or Bethesda locations. The ideal candidate has a strong science background with relevant commercial experience in investment banking or venture environments. Key aspects of the role include:
- Database sourcing and management within key life sciences verticals such as Therapeutics, Tools & Diagnostics, and Digital Health & Technology, monitoring key companies we are following/competitors in each field.
- Ability to conduct diligence calls with expert networks across the value chain and provide team with rigorous summaries; requires strong ability to synthesize thoughts, identify critical risks and opportunities, and apply uncommon discernment leading to the best outcomes.
- Join more senior Investment staff as needed to conduct diligence and site visits as well as supporting portfolio monitoring efforts.
The key aspects of our investment process include:
- Origination: Includes database research and attending key industry conferences and events to originate deals. Engage with experts in the field and develop / implement a framework for businesses of high interest to the NPV strategy.
- Sourcing: Source specific deals and interface with management/other key ecosystem players. Determine and pursue the best way to connect with companies of high interest. Make sound decisions about what opportunities should be prioritized and expedited.
- Integrated Scientific Diligence: Conduct technical scientific diligence on investment opportunities
- Deal Execution: Ensure our key terms are met and solid deal execution.
- Support: Business building and company support including quarterly board meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in science (e.g., biochemistry, neuroscience, molecular biology, bioengineering, etc.); advanced degree strongly preferred, ideally a Ph.D. or equivalent from a leading program in relevant science-based field
- 2-5 years relevant work experience (e.g., venture firm, leading management consulting firm, Investment Bank, other business experience)
- Scientific understanding for leading edge diligence in areas of life science tools & diagnostics, therapeutics, and technology
- Team-oriented and ecosystem-oriented
- Long-term oriented with a strong passion and pursuit of our mission
- A passion for business/business building/investing, technically strong with natural business instincts and judgment
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills; inspire confidence in others
- Organized with strong ability to prioritize; process-oriented
- Solid organizational skills with the ability to both prioritize and handle multiple priorities at simultaneously
- High degree of initiative, self-discipline, and motivation and the ability to work collaboratively and eﬀectively as part of a team
- Possesses a positive, can-do attitude and entrepreneurial spirit, and agility to meet the growing needs of our leading VC
Interested applicants should submit a resume to Careers@npv.vc and include “Principal” in the subject line.
As the Manager of Communications and Digital Strategy at NVCA, Devin plays a central role in NVCA’s communications operation, communicating with key constituencies in the entrepreneurial ecosystem as well as enhancing NVCA’s brand in Washington, D.C. Devin develops and executes on the organization’s communications and public relations strategies and creates media content to support them.