Northpond Ventures is a leading global science, medical, and technology focused venture firm, with in excess of $1 billion of committed capital and offices in Cambridge (Harvard Square), San Francisco, and Bethesda. Recognized in 2019 and 2020 by Silicon Valley Bank as the most-active investor in the life science tools and diagnostics industries, Northpond Ventures is very active in all disciplines related to healthcare and technology industries. For more information, please visit: npv.vc.
Northpond Ventures is seeking a motivated and dynamic Principal to join our investment team in either our Boston (Cambridge), San Francisco, or Bethesda locations. The ideal candidate has a strong science background with relevant commercial experience in investment banking or venture environments. Key aspects of the role include:
- Database sourcing and management within key life sciences verticals such as Therapeutics, Tools & Diagnostics, and Digital Health & Technology, monitoring key companies we are following/competitors in each field.
- Ability to conduct diligence calls with expert networks across the value chain and provide team with rigorous summaries; requires strong ability to synthesize thoughts, identify critical risks and opportunities, and apply uncommon discernment leading to the best outcomes.
- Join more senior Investment staff as needed to conduct diligence and site visits as well as supporting portfolio monitoring efforts.
The key aspects of our investment process include:
- Origination: Includes database research and attending key industry conferences and events to originate deals. Engage with experts in the field and develop / implement a framework for businesses of high interest to the NPV strategy.
- Sourcing: Source specific deals and interface with management/other key ecosystem players. Determine and pursue the best way to connect with companies of high interest. Make sound decisions about what opportunities should be prioritized and expedited.
- Integrated Scientific Diligence: Conduct technical scientific diligence on investment opportunities
- Deal Execution: Ensure our key terms are met and solid deal execution.
- Support: Business building and company support including quarterly board meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in science (e.g., biochemistry, neuroscience, molecular biology, bioengineering, etc.); advanced degree strongly preferred, ideally a Ph.D. or equivalent from a leading program in relevant science-based field
- 2-5 years relevant work experience (e.g., venture firm, leading management consulting firm, Investment Bank, other business experience)
- Scientific understanding for leading edge diligence in areas of life science tools & diagnostics, therapeutics, and technology
- Team-oriented and ecosystem-oriented
- Long-term oriented with a strong passion and pursuit of our mission
- A passion for business/business building/investing, technically strong with natural business instincts and judgment
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills; inspire confidence in others
- Organized with strong ability to prioritize; process-oriented
- Solid organizational skills with the ability to both prioritize and handle multiple priorities at simultaneously
- High degree of initiative, self-discipline, and motivation and the ability to work collaboratively and eﬀectively as part of a team
- Possesses a positive, can-do attitude and entrepreneurial spirit, and agility to meet the growing needs of our leading VC
Interested applicants should submit a resume to Careers@npv.vc and include “Principal” in the subject line.