Sierra Ventures is a Silicon Valley-based early-stage venture firm investing globally with a focus on Core Enterprise and Next-Gen Technologies. With four decades of experience and over $2 billion of assets under management, Sierra has created a vast network of successful entrepreneurs, Global 1000 CXOs, operational executives, and deep domain experts, providing a platform for entrepreneurs around the world.
We are looking for a skilled Head of Marketing & Platform who will own the development of Sierra’s Platform Strategy and will manage all Marketing Operations for the firm. The role will report to Sierra’s Operating Partner and will have a Marketing Manager as a direct report.
The Role & Opportunity
As a key member of the Team, you will own all of Sierra’s Marketing activities, will manage and shape the firm’s brand messaging to the industry (entrepreneurs, other VCs/Investors, LPs), and help portfolio companies get marketing exposure.
The Head of Marketing & Platform will be responsible for creating, managing, and updating KPI’s for cross platform strategies including:
- Continuing to develop the Sierra platform supporting entrepreneurs
- Portfolio Company Marketing Support
- Original Content & Newsletters
- Social Media / Community Development
- PR & Thought Leadership
- Website & SEO
- Video / Podcasting
- Portfolio Marketing
This is not only a “hands-on” position but will also require a high level of independent work, content creation, creative thinking, and leadership. Effective interaction with the Managing Partners, outside vendors (content creators, PR, and key advisors) will also be part of the role. The successful candidate will be well-rounded with the ability to work closely in a small, fast moving environment.
Our office is based in San Mateo, CA. We are currently have a hybrid approach with some days in-office and some working from home. In-person is preferred for this role but remote is possible so candidates outside of the SF/Bay Area are encouraged to apply.
A day in the life:
- Work with the Operating and Managing Partners to take execution ownership for the firm’s marketing presence (LinkedIn, Twitter, Website, PR) with a focus on “what works” for the Venture Capital industry.
- Create and execute plans to support portfolio companies with our Entrepreneur Resources program.
- Advise Portfolio Companies on Marketing Best Practices as needed – including content creation for Sierra’s Entrepreneur Resources page.
- Develop and execute content and other Marketing campaigns to reach early-stage entrepreneurs and other VCs (and secondarily CXOs and Limited Partners) with the goal of driving deal flow and engagement.
- Lead the redesign of the current website and own and maintain website updates on a regular basis including adding new companies, blog content, entrepreneur resources, and CXO updates.
- Manage email database for events and content distribution.
- Redistribute and solicit portfolio company news to Sierra’s network through social and email.
- Manage PR campaigns and develop relationships with external resources and reporters to drive awareness and mindshare within the VC / Startup community.
- Support on internal and external events – both virtual and in-person – including Annual LP Meeting, Industry Happy Hours, Portfolio Workshops, our Annual CXO Summit, Team Building Events, and Volunteer Outings.
- Engage in our Founder Slack Community to share relevant content, updates, and facilitate conversations among the Founders/CEOs.
- Assist with preparation of Limited Partner communications and updating of firm statistics for use with future and current Limited Partners.
- Work closely with the VP of Business Development (who owns the CXO Network) on communications, event planning & execution, and website updates. Includes the annual CXO Summit (a half day event with outside speakers and sponsors – now in its 17th year) where you will help coordinate speakers, send communications, and run the event via Zoom Webinar.
- Build a robust set of KPIs and report progress to the team on a quarterly and annual basis. Includes creating/managing dashboards to track Marketing effectiveness, ROI, and managing budgets.
- Work with owners of internal programming include the DEI Committee and “Sierra Gives” program to manage and publicize events and resources.
To be successful in this role:
- You have 5-7 years professional experience in marketing, communications, and/or a related field. Experience at a venture capital firm or startup is a key for success.
- Your prior experience will allow you to build programs to reach portfolio companies and entrepreneurs with a creative and focused content approach.
- You thrive in fast-paced, less structured environments that require independent thinking.
- You have strong written communication skills and feel comfortable with creating content for technical audiences.
- You are content-minded and always thinking about the next best blog or social post that will attract readership among your target audience.
- You have experience managing social media channels for a business including Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- You are familiar with platforms like Hubspot, Slack, Google Suite, Airtable, WordPress/Webflow, Cision and/or have a desire to learn.
- You are a team player with the ability to develop strong relationships and leverage internal and external alliances but are comfortable working in a 15 person firm, which also requires a lot of independent initiative.
- You are enthusiastic and hardworking with a passion for learning and contributing to the company culture.
- You have an Undergraduate degree in Marketing, Communications, Business, or another relevant field.
You might currently be leading Marketing & Platform efforts at a small or mid-size VC firm. Or maybe you’ve been running Marketing & Community at a high growth startup and are looking to make the move to the Investment side. What matters most is your passion for entrepreneurship, marketing, and supporting great Founders building world-changing companies. If any of this sounds like you, please apply!
To apply, please complete this Form.
If you are unable to complete the form, please send your resume, LinkedIn profile, and 3-5 sentences covering why you’re interested and why you are the right person for this role to email@example.com.
Sierra Ventures offers competitive employee benefits including:
- Comprehensive healthcare plans including medical, dental, and vision benefits
- HSA Contributions
- Flexible PTO
- 401K matching
- Catered lunches and snacks (on in office days)
About Sierra Ventures
Founded in 1982, Sierra Ventures is a leading venture capital firm known for its experienced team, deep network, and proven ‘hands on’ entrepreneurial approach. The Firm focuses on early-stage investments in Core Enterprise sectors like Data/AI, Infrastructure (IOT, Cloud), Vertical SaaS (Enterprise Apps, Fintech, Security) and Next Gen technologies including Digital Health, eCommerce, EdTech, Industrial Automation (ML, Robotics), New Consumer, and Web3. The Firm has invested globally and is currently focused on companies primarily in North America, LATAM, and Israel.
For more information visit Sierra Ventures at https://www.sierraventures.com.
Sierra Ventures is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Jenny Zemel serves as Manager, Special Projects where she provides interdepartmental support on a variety of projects for both the NVCA team and Venture Forward team. She also helps support the administrative needs of NVCA’s President and CEO Bobby Franklin.