Founded in 2017, Toyota Ventures is a Silicon Valley-based venture capital firm with more than $500M assets under management that invests in early-stage startups around the world in frontier and climate technologies. We are on a mission to discover what’s next for Toyota by helping startups bring ground-breaking technologies and business models to market quickly. We’ve invested in over 55 companies, including Bipi (acquired), Blackmore (acquired), Carbice, Ecolectro, e-Zinc, Intuition Robotics, Joby Aviation (NYSE: Joby), May Mobility, Nauto, Near Space Labs, Revel, and Universal Hydrogen.
Want to work in a fast-paced environment where you can use your legal expertise to help drive better business outcomes? Our team and portfolio are growing, and we are looking for an experienced head of legal and compliance who is passionate about venture capital and startups. It’s a hands-on role that involves collaborating with multiple partners quickly and optimally.
We value acting with integrity and empathy, being humble but ambitious, and keeping it weird. We’re also committed to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion within the team, portfolio, and the larger VC industry. We are based in the San Francisco Bay Area and have a hybrid environment with time split between the office and remote work. Location is flexible (but U.S.-based).
- You will lead all legal aspects of Toyota Ventures.
- Manage a broad range of transactional matters, including reviewing, drafting, and negotiating agreements relating to fund formation and portfolio investments, with and without outside counsel support.
- Manage projects and issues related to Toyota Ventures’ investments, portfolio management, and internal partners.
- Work with other internal partners on projects of importance to the fund.
- Reports to the founding managing director with matrixed management to the general counsel of Toyota Research Institute.
- 8+ years of corporate law experience, with particular focus on venture capital, including transactional work and fund formation/administration, including at a venture capital firm, publicly-traded company, and/or a top law firm.
- Experience with the Securities Act, Investment Company Act, Investment Advisors Act, and other securities laws.
- Pragmatism that promotes efficiency and effective legal advice.
- An effective team player and collaborator.
- Willingness to take on the full spectrum of what might come your way, with no job too big or too small.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and relationship-building skills.
- Must be active and in good standing in one State Bar in the United States.
- Experience in-house at a fund or company.
- Passion for venture capital industry, start-ups, and technology.
- Experience working with an international company.
If you are interested in this position, please apply here.
Jenny Zemel serves as Manager, Special Projects where she provides interdepartmental support on a variety of projects for both the NVCA team and Venture Forward team. She also helps support the administrative needs of NVCA’s President and CEO Bobby Franklin.