- This event has passed.
Token Sales: Securities Regulations and Risks Webinar
January 19, 2018 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Dial-in: (408) 638-0968
Webinar ID: 734 315 343
Initial coin offerings (ICOs), or token sales, exploded on the investment scene in 2017. In fact, the amount of capital raised by ICOs in 2017 became comparable to the size of traditional venture capital investment in angel and seed rounds. Seasoned and new investors alike must understand the risks associated with this increasingly popular business model.
Blockchain token sales can implicate a number of areas of law and regulatory policy, much of it with little or no precedent. In the absence of a recognized, standard-setting regulatory authority, ICOs are attracting a significant level of scrutiny from financial regulators around the world. Statements by the SEC Chairman and recent enforcement cases have prompted further debates about how to apply the existing regulatory regime to this new technology, where the line gets drawn for ICOs to be subject to the same safeguards as traditional securities offerings, and how concerned regulators should be about the unprecedented growth in ICOs in 2017.
Topics We Will Cover
- Brief overview of applicable securities, commodities and money transmission laws
- Current regulatory guidance and applicable regulatory frameworks impacting token sales
- Token sale guardrails for investors – convertibles, governance, key safekeeping and regulatory risk
- Spectrum of utility token fact patterns
- Reverse ICOs for VC portfolio exits
- Looking ahead: A Rocky Investor Landscape
- Jeff Farrah, Vice President of Government Affairs – NVCA
- Justin Field, Vice President of Government Affairs – NVCA
- Lowell Ness, Partner – Perkins Coie
- Stephen Keen, Partner – Perkins Coie
This webinar is complimentary for NVCA members and Perkins Coie clients (Perkins Coie clients may register complimentary using the code: PC2017). Non-members or non-Perkins clients will be charged $150.00.
Thanks to our partner!