Position: Data & Operations Manager
Reports to: Vice President, Development
Location: San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC
The National Venture Capital Association (NVCA) unites the U.S. venture ecosystem to support the
formation of high-growth companies and ensure the U.S. remains the most competitive environment in
the world for entrepreneurs. NVCA is a nonprofit association powered by a diverse group of member
firms. We convene venture capital investors, entrepreneurs, and industry partners to shape public policy
priorities, to develop new industry initiatives, to provide premier research, and to participate in
professional development opportunities with their peers.
Reporting to the Vice President, Development, the Data & Operations Manager will be responsible for
leading the association’s data collection and management efforts. This technical role involves supporting
the full NVCA team in building and managing online platforms to record and analyze all interactions with
existing and prospective members and leveraging this data to provide analysis and recommendations on
how to improve member relations and recruitment. This team member will have significant experience
using sophisticated online tools and systems, including Salesforce and other data sources to help the
association meaningfully engage with all of its diverse members, inform policy priorities, and develop
member programming while boosting member retention.
- Design, build, and manage digital platforms in order to lead database management, including
collecting member data and optimizing Salesforce functionality. Serve as Salesforce admin.
- Assist full NVCA team with technical support to track, organize, and leverage member contact lists to drive program objectives and boost member engagement
- Analyze member data and report on membership demographics and association engagement to senior executives (internal and external)
- Support member recruitment process through in-depth industry research and data analysis
- Create and deploy (through online channels) an effective strategy to capture member data on interests, preferences, and expertise to enable better member communication and interactions
Work with Communications team to refine messaging strategy (i.e. relevant information is
reaching the right people)
• Aid Development team in developing effective recruitment strategies to grow membership
• Help with accounting/payment/record keeping as needed
IDEAL CANDIDATE IS:
“Tech savvy,” enthusiastic team player with experience in database management, mastery of online
tools (e.g., Salesforce admin), and interest in innovative new online platforms. Critical thinker who
enjoys digging into data, conducting analysis, reporting on findings, and making recommendations. We
are looking for someone to “own” NVCA’s data and tell us what we don’t know.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Significant technical experience including data analysis and CRM management you have gained through working at a company, university, non-profit, trade association, or similar organization. Expertise with Salesforce. Comfort with building and managing complex databases as well as new
systems/platforms and a “can do attitude.”
- Demonstrable analytical capabilities, developed through projects involving multiple data sources and serving a variety of stakeholders. Ability to work cross-functionally to meet a range of, often undefined, goals.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills — both written and verbally — and experience creating action plans, reports, and executive summaries.
- Fluency and curiosity in a range of online tools/platforms. Interest in experimenting with new systems, including those relevant for communications and content as well as third party CRM integrations.
- Intellectual curiosity and project management leadership with a desire to dive into new areas of research and tell our team “what we don’t know” and “aren’t asking.” A creative, collaborative workstyle with the ability and confidence to work independently as well as in teams.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and multiple constituencies and meet deadlines; ability to establish efficient processes and workflows.
- Proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint, Outlook, and Word. Extensive experience with Salesforce, including building new objects, developing and implementing quality assurance processes, cleaning up and merging records, using data loads, running reports, creating dashboards, and developing operating procedures. Extensive experience in Microsoft Excel, including complex formulas and macros. Proficiency in or interest to learn about other data visualization or presentation software (e.g., Tableau, Domo, Microsoft Power BI, Airtable).
- Education: You have a Bachelor’s degree (preferred).
- Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
NVCA is committed to creating a work environment in which everyone on our team is engaged and performing at high levels, and where differences in outlook, perspective, and background are seen as adding value. We strive to attract, invest in, and develop the talents of people of diverse backgrounds who reflect the society and community in which we live and do business. We believe that enhanced business relationships, greater innovation, increased productivity, and better decision-making result from the diverse and inclusive culture we seek to foster.