The National Venture Capital Association (NVCA) unites the U.S. venture ecosystem to support the formation of high-growth companies and ensure the U.S. remains the most competitive environment in the world for entrepreneurs. NVCA is a nonprofit association powered by a diverse group of member firms. We convene venture capital investors, entrepreneurs, and industry partners to shape public policy priorities, to develop new industry initiatives, to provide premier research, and to participate in professional development opportunities with their peers.
The Communications Coordinator will help elevate all communications for NVCA including priority issues nationally and in the states, and leveraging the association’s activities to attract and retain members. The position requires an enthusiastic self starter who will support all NVCA communications including earned and social media, and marketing efforts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING (OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED)
- Support the organization’s social media, digital communications and digital marketing strategy to grow NVCA’s online influence to impact policy making and improve membership growth and retention.
- Help draft and post social content to help drive NVCA’s top priorities online with measurable results.
- Help draft, edit and post NVCA Blogs, manage editorial calendar and work with key staff to curate content.
- Support strong collaboration with government affairs staff to elevate and promote in the press policies that are important to the venture capital industry.
- Assist in servicing day-to-day media requests, including the processing and responding to requests for data.
- Assist with the production and distribution of media relations products, including press releases, pitches, media alerts, etc.
- Support quarterly distribution of research and data reports to the media, members and other constituencies.
- Support the development of compelling content for blogs, emails, op-eds and columns, and other writing projects as assigned.
- Support all aspects of NVCA events. Draft and send marketing events newsletters to members and industry partners with a creative online strategy that increases registration, turn out and readership.
- Support Development team’s efforts to improve member experience and engagement with NVCA events.
- Support and conduct analysis and generate reports of web and social media properties and use that information to refine and improve overall strategy for events marketing.
- Support enhancement of overall member and industry communications.
- Responsible for managing and updating the NVCA website with fresh content as well as ensuring our website ties back into our overall digital communication strategy.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES (IF APPLICABLE):
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Project Management – Proactively leads and follows through on the completion of projects with very little oversight.
- Customer Service – Responds to requests for service and assistance in a timely manner; meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills – Self-starter and committed to professional excellence built on integrity, quality, and strong values. Maintains confidentiality.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork – Works effectively with the NVCA team and contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Judgment – Exhibits sound and accurate judgment.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Basic graphic design skills, including knowledge of Adobe Illustrator. Understanding of web analytics programs (e.g., Google Analytics). Familiarity with email marketing platforms (e.g., MailChimp). Experience with WordPress and other content management systems a plus.
Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and HTML/CSS.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree required, including strong academic credentials. 1-3 years of professional communications experience.
LANGUAGE and WRITING SKILLS
Detail-oriented with strong writing skills, proficient in grammar and punctuation proofreading skills. Must be a self-starter with high level of initiative. Strong communications skills are required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; and use of motor skills.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
NVCA is committed to creating a work environment in which everyone on our team is engaged and performing at high levels, and where differences in outlook, perspective, and background are seen as adding value. We strive to attract, invest in, and develop the talents of people of diverse backgrounds who reflect the society and community in which we live and do business. We believe that enhanced business relationships, greater innovation, increased productivity, and better decision-making result from the diverse and inclusive culture we seek to foster.
Application Process: Please submit resume with cover letter and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jenny Zemel serves as Manager, Special Projects where she provides interdepartmental support on a variety of projects for both the NVCA team and Venture Forward team. She also helps support the administrative needs of NVCA’s President and CEO Bobby Franklin.