PROOF is a fast-paced and growing venture capital fund family with roughly $400 million of capital raised since mid-2016. We raise capital and form new entities on a regular basis to invest in later-stage successful businesses, most of which will eventually go public or be purchased by other companies. We are seeking a candidate to serve as our Chief Financial Officer (after 22 years our current CFO requested to step into the Director of Finance role).
The CFO is responsible for all accounting, financial reporting, HR, audit and tax, and is also responsible in part for investor relations and compliance. We rely on our CFO for sound advice on a number of subject matters and to be the point person for maintaining the structural integrity of our financial operations. The CFO is an integral member of the firm’s management team and will collaborate on strategic planning for current and future PROOF endeavors.
Here at PROOF, we currently manage just over 100 entities: a mix of 3 venture capital funds (7 entities), 3 general partnerships, 1 management company, 5 master entities, 32 Fund special purpose vehicles, and 56 co-investment special purpose vehicles. The CFO is primarily responsible for those entities and will work closely with our staff and Carta (our fund administrator) to produce timely and accurate quarterly/annual reporting, 6 annual audit reports, and 1 annual SEC filing (Form ADV Part 1). On the tax side the CFO is responsible for managing the timely and accurate production of over 2,000 annual K-1 forms, federal and state tax filings for the 10 entities prepared by Ernst & Young and tax filings for the roughly 90 entities we produce internally, international and other tax filings. The CFO is involved in every investment closing, continually adds new entities and new investors into our reporting system, facilitates Fund capital calls, and is intricately involved with every distribution of both cash and stock.
This individual will be an integral member of a small but growing team of hard-working and experienced professionals. The candidate must have a strong background and knowledge of venture capital fund accounting, financial reporting, and tax matters from a very basic level to the highest level issues applicable to our industry as they evolve over time. The candidate must be equipped to assess and resolve complex issues related to our business and must have the ability to handle several layers of entities using multiple entity structures each with its own unique allocation formulas. The CFO works with our General Counsel to help write specific sections of our partnership agreements as they relate to our particular structure at PROOF and in contemplation of changes to regulations and the tax code applicable to our industry.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree, Accounting
- Certified Public Accountant license or MBA, Accounting
- At least 10 years of CFO experience with partnerships and limited liability companies
- Expertise in Excel (not just working knowledge) is required
- Familiarity with the tax code as it applies to investment partnerships
- Ability to decipher complex legal terms and apply them to financial accounting
- Superior analytical and organizational abilities with a keen focus on detail and 100% accuracy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong management and supervisory skills
- Ability to work on a peer level with outside firms on finance and audit matters
- Works well under pressure
- Ability to prioritize work while balancing team and individual responsibilities
- Ability to lead our operations team to meet strict reporting deadlines and deal closing dates
If you are interested in applying for this position, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.