We are looking for a government affairs professional to represent the interests of the venture capital industry and the startup community on federal legislative and regulatory policy issues.
This individual will proactively identify policy ideas to advance the goals of the Association, provide analysis and develop strategy on pending legislation and policy matters of interest, inform the board of directors, and connect policymakers with VCs and portfolio companies working on critical technologies.
Key issues may include, but are not limited to: tax, capital markets regulation, immigration, antitrust, foreign investment, tech commercialization & economic development, climate, health care, blockchain, education, and national security.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify and assist in the development and advocacy of Association policy positions.
- Strategize and execute lobbying and outreach plans for identified priorities.
- Lead and execute select working groups to possibly include Model Legal Documents/General Counsel Advisory Board, CFO Task Force, Healthcare Innovation, National Security, Education & Workforce, Blockchain, amongst others.
- Effectively communicate policy positions to Congress, administration and federal agency officials, and the press.
- Effectively communicate important developments in Washington to startup stakeholder community.
- Make formal presentations at government stakeholder meetings and industry group conferences.
- Gather intelligence about political and policy issues through industry, and Congressional contacts.
- Establish and maintain a network of venture capital-related contacts on Capitol Hill and other key stakeholders to advance common policy initiatives.
- Draft key policy documents, including letters of support and opposition, regulatory comment letters, congressional testimony, and other policy related content. Respond to inquiries and requests from member firms.
- Connect members and portfolio companies to convening and program opportunities as appropriate.
- Assist in forming strategy and budget for the disbursement of VenturePAC funds; represent Association at industry events and fundraisers.
- Occasional travel required.
- Minimum of 5 years of related policy and/or legal experience.
- Experience working on Capitol Hill or in the executive branch preferred but demonstrated policy experience in other environments acceptable.
- Experience with trade associations or other membership-based non-profits helpful.
- Passion for and/or curiosity of venture capital and entrepreneurship.
- Exceptional writer with strong editing skills and attention to detail.
- Strong project management with ability to meet tight deadlines and goals.
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams to reach organizational goals.
- Experience providing mentorship to support growth and development of direct report.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university required, graduate or law degree a plus.
Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION:
NVCA is committed to creating a work environment in which everyone on our team is engaged and performing at high levels, and where differences in outlook, perspective, and background are seen as adding value. We strive to attract, invest in, and develop the talents of people of diverse backgrounds who reflect the society and community in which we live and do business. We believe that enhanced business relationships, greater innovation, increased productivity, and better decision-making result from the diverse and inclusive culture we seek to foster.
Please submit resume with cover letter and salary requirements to: email@example.com