Context: LaunchTN aims to make Tennessee the best state in the nation for startups by empowering a high-functioning network of resources focused on core priorities that support Tennessee’s entrepreneurial ecosystem. Partnering with entrepreneur centers in 7 regions, four state-wide industry partners that run mentor networks, and a veterans entrepreneur organization Bunker Labs, we facilitate collaboration among entrepreneurs, innovators, the private sector, capital sources, organizations, institutions, and government.
We aim to stimulate the statewide economy by facilitating capital formation, market building, and growing Tennessee’s entrepreneurial ecosystem, making the needed resources easy to find to ensure sustainable growth for entrepreneurs and investors.
Our core values are:
- Not just thinking outside the box, but breaking it
- Putting people first in everything we do
- Going farther together through collaboration
- Being accessible and inclusive always
- Being driven to serve
- Enjoying our work & each other – life’s too short not to love what you do
Position Overview: This position serves on LaunchTN’s Capital team and will play an integral role in launching and deploying a new collection of funds serving Tennessee’s startups and venture funds. Growing LaunchTN’s pipeline of early-stage startups by sourcing and evaluating deals while activating expert and peer networks across the state, this position will support engagement among our stakeholders aligned with the capital team’s strategic priorities and objectives.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Deal sourcing and pipeline management for early-stage direct investments, driving 100% market coverage across pre-Seed through Series A/B startup deal flow in Tennessee
- Due diligence for early-stage investments, driving deals forward with research activities including bottoms-up market sizing and analysis, references, and financial analysis, producing investment briefs and memos for investment committee consideration.
- Development of automated systems supporting quarterly reporting across the fund portfolio
- Program management of a state-wide expert network in support of a growing portfolio
- Development of CEO peer groups across Tennessee, including events and meetups in partnership with LaunchTN’s Network Partners
- Conducting market research on a chosen industry vertical, serving as the domain expert within LaunchTN for deals operating in that industry
- Management of state-wide market intelligence, including the tracking of accelerator, incubator, and venture studio programs, in support of outbound deal sourcing activities
Additional Responsibilities and Expectations
Plan and execute all responsibilities with a view toward:
- Maximizing both financial returns and job creation through meaningful collaboration, both internally with the Capital team and broader LaunchTN team, and also with LaunchTN’s portfolio companies, Network Partners, ecosystem builders, and other stakeholders
- Staying current with local, national, and global market trends, expanding the Capital team’s reach and understanding of market opportunities for investment,
- Acting as an ambassador for and building awareness of our vision to make Tennessee the most startup-friendly state in the nation,
- Exercising creative, critical, and strategic thinking through deal analysis to deliver a high-quality outcome,
- Collaborating; seeking feedback before action; building trust among the team and stakeholders,
- Being decisive and action-oriented, and
- Being aligned with our core values.
Potential Indicators of Success
- Experience with venture capital, whether within a fund or accelerator/incubator/startup studio program, or a VC training program, bringing an analytical and differentiated POV to the table
- Experience working with startups and investors from an array of industries and backgrounds
- Proven record of project management and ownership, fueled by a passion for innovation and an innate intellectual curiosity
- Commitment to the future success of Tennessee as a hub for startups and innovation
If you are interested in this position, please apply here.
Jenny Zemel serves as Manager, Special Projects where she provides interdepartmental support on a variety of projects for both the NVCA team and Venture Forward team. She also helps support the administrative needs of NVCA’s President and CEO Bobby Franklin.